Friday 25th January, 2019
There are plenty of reasons that one might need to store a carpet. Maybe you’ve…
- Done some remodelling to your living room and the rug doesn’t go with the new theme anymore;
- The rug is too large for your new home or apartment you just move into;
- Found a great bargain for a quality vintage rug but not sure how to use it yet.
Whatever the reason be, you have a rug, and you need to store it. This is no easy feast, an area rug even when rolled up can be quite large for storage.
To further complicate matters, storing your rug improperly can lead to water damage, bad odour or bug infestation.
To avoid such mishaps follow the below steps to ensure the longevity of your rug when in storage.
Step 1: Thoroughly Clean Your Rug
To prepare your rug for storage, give it a good clean. The cleaning style depends on the type of rug:
- Woven rugs: Lay the rug on a clean flat surface and using a carpet cleaning foam scrub the dirt out with a sponge and finishing by rinsing with cold water or vacuuming.
- Handmade oriental rugs: Using a nylon screen over your rug and then vacuuming over the screen is a great way to protect your delicate rug maintaining its handmade authenticity.
- Grass rug: Dirt easily settles on these natural fibre rugs, scrubbing them with a soft brush and soapy water will bring the rug back to life.
Step 2: Roll Up The Rug
Make a note not to fold the rug. Folding will create creases, cracks and other damages. Instead, roll your rug facing outward (rolling inward might protect the surface but strains the binding and glue on the back).
- Start rolling your rug, keeping it as straight as possible. Ensure you are not rolling it too tight which damage the back of the rug.
- Finish rolling your rug by wrapping the cotton sheet or muslin around the rug at least one and a half times to keep it protected. Secure the sheet with cotton or polyester tape Do not use plastic to wrap your rug, since it will keep it from breathing.
Step 3: Rug Storage
When storing your rug, it’s important to keep it in a location off the ground, safe from any harmful elements. Also, make sure nothing else lays on top of it. Boxes and other supplies can cause cracks and destroy the rug’s shape.
It is important to store your rug in a cool, dry environment without exposure to natural light.
To be safe, they also suggest unrolling your rug once a month to make sure there is no evidence of bug infestation. In addition, vacuum the area and the rug itself to eliminate any insect-attracting dust.
Protect Your Rug With BOX IT Storage
If your home lacks the appropriate space to keep your rug, or if you plan to keep it stored for a long time, it’s best to consult the professionals about storage.
BOX IT has a variety of box sizes to accommodate your rug storage needs and protect your most valuables rugs from the elements, pesky insects and mould.
Call us on 1300 426 948 today to learn more about our cheap storage rates and discount!